Join Our Team!
Job Title: Executive Director, Shanta Foundation
Start Date: Begins summer 2020
To Apply: Deadline for applications is March 27, 2020. Resumes/CVs, including references, should be sent to: Info@shantafoundation.org. Phone or email inquiries about the status of your application will not be accepted.
Executive Director Position Description
The Executive Director of Shanta Foundation is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs, funding, and strategic plan of the organization. Related key duties include staff development, fundraising, marketing and outreach.
The Executive Director (ED) is the Chief Executive Officer of Shanta Foundation and reports to the Board of Directors; the position works with and is directly supervised by the President of the Board. The ED supervises (directly or indirectly) three Colorado-based staff and, as needed, contractors in the U.S., and directly supervises the Muditar Foundation Country Director in Myanmar who supervises and manages a Myanmar staff of 18 working in 24 rural villages in three geographic regions of Myanmar. The ED works closely with, and is a member of, the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors as well as an advisor to other board committees.
The 2020 annual, combined operating budget of Shanta and Muditar is approximately $775,000. This is a full-time position based in Durango, CO with travel to Myanmar two times per year.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Provide strategic and operational leadership and management of Shanta Foundation (in the US) and Muditar Foundation (in Myanmar).
- Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors; provide executive level planning and program implementation guidance and recommendations.
- Oversee the day-to-day management of the U.S. based organization (HR, accounting, marketing and communications, fundraising, program development and monitoring/evaluation as well as organizational compliance with relevant rules and regulations). Develop or refine procedures and systems as appropriate.
- Develop and monitor annual and multi-year budgets.
- Provide supervision, development and mentoring of Shanta’s staff as well as Muditar’s Country Director who is responsible for the overall success of programs, staff and relationships with other organizations and government representatives.
- Ensure that all programs exemplify the organization’s core values and principles.
- With the Philanthropy Director and Board of Directors, expand fundraising capacity, both annual and long-term income, across an array of sources.
- Maintain and build relationships with current donors, funders and other supporters while increasing partnerships and relationships within new spheres of influence.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for the organization.
- Maintain and build host country relations.
- Provide strategic and operational leadership and management of Shanta Foundation (in the US) and in support of Muditar Foundation (in Myanmar).
- Organization Mission and Strategy: Work with the board, staff and volunteers to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through funding, programs, strategic planning and outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of Shanta’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for the implementation of Shanta’s 2020-2025 strategic plan to ensure that Shanta Foundation can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of Shanta’s image by being active and visible in the local, national and international community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations/foundations.
- Financial Performance and Viability:
- Develop resources sufficient to ensure the current and future financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other revenues necessary to support Shanta’s mission.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Shanta Foundation, to include submission to the Board of a proposed multi-year budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting to external funders.
- Organization Operations: Oversee and implement effective and efficient use of resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate and sustainable.
- Responsible for the hiring, development and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for the effective administration of Shanta operations.
- Monitoring and Supporting Myanmar Operations: Provide support, guidance and mentoring to senior Myanmar staff in a consultative manner.
- Meet monthly via Skype or other technology.
- Provide and oversee staff capacity development activities in Myanmar.
- Provide supervision, guidance, mentoring and professional development of the Program Manager;
- Oversee the continued successful transmission of Shanta/Muditar values, principles and programming successes to ensure the highest quality programming possible;
- Ensure that best practice program monitoring and evaluation practices are integral to all of Shanta and Muditar programming.
- Serve as primary liaison with Vibrant Village and other large grantors.
- Serve as an ad hoc member of the Board of Director’s Program Committee.
- Work in close collaboration with the Philanthropy Director and Board of Directors to ensure a diverse and sustained level of funding that exceeds Shanta’s daily operational needs.
- Meet regularly with current and prospective donors and significant partners to maintain and grow those relationships.
- Look for and cultivate new donors.
- Develop and write grant proposals.
- Serve as Shanta’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson and presenter on behalf of Shanta at regional, national and international development and other appropriate conferences to establish Shanta’s credibility as an international NGO.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance Shanta’s Mission.
- Serve on the Board of Director’s Fundraising Committee.
- Responsible for leading Shanta Foundation in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the organization.
- Work in collaboration with the Board President to:
- Increase the effectiveness of the Board through effective on-boarding, orientation, continued education and training;
- Assist in the identification, recruitment and on-boarding of new Board members.
- Serve as a member of the Executive Committee and other committees as required.
Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Executive Director Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree in non-profit administration, public administration, international development or similar relevant field. A master’s degree is preferred.
- Five or more years senior nonprofit management experience; some international program experience desired.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing effective strategies for scaling and growing organizations while preserving the organizational mission and obtaining quality outcomes.
- Proven track record in successfully raising significant funds from a wide range of sources in order to meet or exceed requirements for organizational growth.
- Experience with grant management and reporting; experience managing restricted and unrestricted funds.
- Ability to travel internationally at least twice per year for several weeks at a time.
- Demonstrated recent experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff. Strong background in staff and organizational capacity development.
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission and strategic vision across a wide range of listeners as well as with staff, donors, volunteers.
- A demonstrated history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results.
- Demonstrated success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development, monitoring and evaluation, and task facilitation.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; strong public speaking ability.
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership.
- Experience in successfully navigating multi-cultural environments; high degree of emotional intelligence.
- Current working competency with all Microsoft platform programs; social media savvy.