Inspiring a lifetime love of learning and opportunities for a K – University education.
Day Care Centers
- Provide 3 – 5 year-olds a safe and dynamic early learning environment for socialization and healthy brain development
- Free up parents’ time for daily work
Constructing New Primary and Middle Schools
Existing primary schools are often one-room bamboo structures built many years ago with dirt floors, little light, few desks or chairs and are very cold in the winter. Children have a difficult time learning in this environment and often drop out before completing the five grades of primary school.
- New school buildings are made from concrete block with plenty of operable windows, desks and chairs and, most importantly, separate classrooms for each grade.
- Middle schools are often far from villages and require children to board away from home. Constructing regional middle schools helps students stay closer to home until high school.
Matching Scholarships for Middle and High School
Children rarely go beyond primary level because middle and high schools are far from their village and require boarding fees and other expenses. Shanta provides all families a matching grant to cover all expenses for any student who lives away from home.
English Language Summer School
The English language is used for most high school classes and English speakers have a great advantage for employment. Every summer middle and high school children have the opportunity to attend village-based classes taught by English language specialists from the city.
DID YOU KNOW…
- In rural Myanmar, where the average student attends primary school for only two or three years, we now have a middle school graduation rate of 70%!
- High school attendance has increased 1000% in the average Shanta village.